Find your glide!
The 50m Varsity pool at the Athletic Centre is open for lane swimming. All swimmers must register for a specified 45 minute time period. The teach pool is unavailable at this time. Confirm your space, no walk-ins available.
- Covid Stage 3 Max Capacity = 4 swimmers/ double lane; 16 participants/ each end of pool; 32 participants/ facility
- Only the 50m Varsity pool at the Athletic Centre is open for swimming
- Please note: all Drop-In schedules are subject to change. Check the program registration page via links below for the most up to date schedule and available time slots.
- Our staff are here to help, please ask the Lifeguards if you have any questions or concerns and heed their advice.
- Options include lane swimming, women-only lane swimming and trans-positive lane swimming.
- Day Lockers, changerooms and showers are available for swimmers to use.
- Registration opens two days in advance of each session (e.g. Registration for Monday’s 7:30 a.m. lane swimming will open at 7:30 a.m. Saturday.) You may register up until the scheduled start time of a session and can cancel your registration up to 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Due to the limited capacity in the pool, we will be monitoring no-shows. Registrants who default on bookings twice will be suspended from lane swimming for two weeks.
This program now requires registration to participate, please sign up in advance to reserve your time slot. Registration is FREE for incidental fee-paying students enrolled in Fall courses at U of T.
- Register here for Open Lane Swim - South End!
- Register here for Open Lane Swim - North End!
- Register here for Women-Only Swim!
- Register here for Trans Positive Swim!
VACCINATION & SCREENING REQUIRED
In line with recommendations from public health authorities, participants must be fully vaccinated – 2 doses +14 days - by September 22, 2021 and complete a pre-visit screening form on the day of your visit before using our facilities. The pre-screening tool will be available online and printed copies will also available at check-in if you do not have access to the online form. Please be ready to present your completed form (digital/mobile or print copy) when you check-in.
- Screening tool for students, staff, faculty and librarians
- Screening tool for members of the community
Students: Fall 2021 students paying incidental fees can access this programming at no additional cost.
Members: Anyone who has a Fall 2021 one- or four-month membership.
*WO = Women's Only Swim // **TP = Trans Positive Swim
|North & South End||11-11:45 am||11-11:45 am|
|12-12:45 pm||12-12:45 pm||12-12:45 pm||12-12:45 pm||12-12:45 pm||
(North End Only)
|1-1:45pm||1-1:45pm||1-1:45pm||1-1:45pm||1-1:45pm||1-1:45pm (North End Only)||1-1:45pm|
|2-2:45pm (*WO)||2-2:45pm (*WO)||2-2:45pm (*WO)||2-2:45pm (**TP)||2-2:45pm (*WO)||2-2:45pm (North End Only)||2-2:45pm|
|7-7:45pm (North End Only)||7-7:45pm (North End Only)||7-7:45pm|
|9-9:45pm||9-9:45pm (North End Only)|
|10-10:45pm||10-10:45pm (North End Only)|
The following protocols are in effect:
- Registration is required to participate in the recreational swimming programming due to capacity limits for the number of individuals allowed in the pool at a given time. Find program specific (ie. Lane Swimming, Women's Only Swim, Trans Positive Swim) registration links at top of page
- Face masks will be required in all areas.
- Entrances to buildings have been modified to control access according to public health guidelines. Please enter through the Classic Avenue doors to access the pool.
- Participants must complete a pre-visit screening form before entering the Athletic Centre to swim. The screening form must be completed on the day of your visit. Please be ready to present your completed form (digital/mobile or print copy) when you check-in. Thank you for your assistance with this process.
Women-only swimming is available during specified times.
During women-only swimming hours:
- Windows and doors are completely covered.
- Only female staff members are on deck.
- An enclosed shower space is available immediately outside the pool.
- Women can change into bathing attire in accessible, private washrooms adjacent to the pool deck so that they do not need to go through public spaces in bathing attire.
Trans-positive swim program is available during specified times. It is an inclusive swim time for trans, gender non-conforming, non-binary and 2-spirit students and members. Anyone willing to participate in creating a positive space for trans folx is welcome. Privacy change spaces are available and blinds are drawn for privacy. Learn more about our trans-positive swim program.
The 50m and 25yd pools are fully accessible. The 25yd pool is located on the main floor of the Athletic Centre and is currently closed for construction. The 50m pool is accessible by elevator and located in the basement of the Athletic Centre.
A waterproof wheelchair is available at the 50m pool office for use on the pool deck, and in our shower spaces. An automated lift is available to assist with entry and exit from the pools as well. Please ask a lifeguard for assistance.
In an attempt to keep the environment safe, positive and enjoyable for all our patrons we would like you to follow our pool etiquette guidelines. Obey the lifeguards and staff at all times.
Pool Emergencies: When you hear one long whistle blast please exit the pool immediately at the closest side. One long whistle blast is a signal for a pool clear which is used at the end of swims and also in emergencies and therefore it is extremely important that patrons exit as quickly as possible.
Lane Speed and Direction
- Please select a lane appropriate to your own speed. If you are continually passing others or being passed please move to a different lane. You may be asked to move for your own safety and the safety of other patrons.
- Remember that lane speed is relative. You may be a fast lane swimmer one day and a medium lane swimmer the next.
- Be aware of all your surroundings and other swimmers at all times.
- Follow the general swim pattern as outlined here and on signs post at each double lane.
- Passing should occur only at the ends of the lane.
- If you must pass mid lap do so only if you have a clear and safe path.
- If someone is attempting to pass you please allow them to do so.
- Please do not pass or swim in a manner that is aggressive or dangerous to other patrons, or that may block their way.
- Do not hit or clip other patrons to encourage them to get out of your way; wait until it is safe and then pass. Ask the lifeguard if you require assistance.
- Flip turn carefully towards the centre of the wall; do not flip turn if the wall is particularly crowded.
- Avoid hanging off of lane ropes as this causes them to loosen and break.
Swim Start Times
- Read the swim schedule carefully and register for a time slot.
- Registered program participants are asked to arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to the start of their program. No change room access will be permitted (except for lane swim participants).
- Be mindful of your scheduled time in the facility. Please ensure you enter and leave the facility within your allotted time to allow our staff to sanitize between usage periods for all users. Your allotted time includes time at your programmed activity and prompt use of showers and changerooms.
- Water jogging is only permitted in the slow lane.
Ontario Health Regulations and Pool Rules
- Please shower with soap and warm water before swimming.
- There is no food other than water permitted on deck.
- Outdoor shoes are not permitted on the pool deck.
- Please do not spit in the pools. Water and spit fountains are available on both pool decks.
- Diving is not permitted in the North end of the 50m pool or the shallow end of the 25 yard pool.
- The use of starting blocks is not permitted during recreational swim.
- Please do not chew gum in the pool or the pool area.
- Listen to the lifeguards at all times.
Please note: If you encounter problems with another patron please inform a lifeguard of the problem rather than confronting the problem yourself.
If you have a medical condition, notify the lifeguard or swim with someone who is knowledgeable about your condition. Swimming when ill with diarrhea can contaminate the pool water. Those who have experienced diarrhea should not swim until symptoms have cleared.
No glass is permitted on the pool deck, in change rooms or in the pool gallery.
50 metre Pool: The Olympic-sized (50 metre) Varsity pool has eight lanes with a moveable bulkhead and is between 2.3 metres and 4.2 metres deep. The pool has one- and three-metre springboards, three- and five-metre platforms. The water temperature is 80-81°F. It is used for swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and Varsity events.
Teach Pool: The teach pool adjacent to the Varsity Pool is 0.8-0.9 metres deep and kept at 84°F. It is generally available for children’s swim classes, and during most 50m recreational swims for non-swimmers and those doing injury rehabilitation.
25 yard Pool: The six-lane, 25 yard Benson pool is 1.2 metres shallow to 3.0 metres deep with a water temperature of 84°F. It is used primarily for lane swimming, swim classes and women-only lane swimming and classes. Please note the 25yd pool is currently CLOSED for construction.
Welcome to the Varsity 50m Pool. To ensure a pleasant experience for swimmers, please note that this facility is open to all students and non-students regardless of ability, race, gender, sexuality or age. The following rights and responsibilities are intended to create a welcoming and encouraging environment for all. We appreciate your cooperation.
PLEASE DO NOT