The Faculty of Kinesiology at the University of Toronto contributes significantly to the high performance sport system within Ontario and Canada through our High Performance Mandate.
For athletes, this contribution includes access to enhanced strength and conditioning programs and coaches, training facilities, sport medicine, and assistance in admissions and academic support within the University.
Provincial and national sport organizations can access facilities and services that support the training and development of provincial and national high performance athletes.
Services include facility rentals, sport science athlete testing, strength and conditioning program creation and implementation, and sport medicine.
High Performance Sport Services
Facility Access and Memberships
Provincial and Nationally identified athletes can access U of T St. George facilities (Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport, Athletic Centre, Varsity Centre and the back campus fields) through the purchase of a high performance membership which is $40 per month plus tax.
High Performance sport agencies (provincial and national sport organizations, sport institutes etc) can book facilities for training and competition at the high performance rate (30% discount). Facilities include 50m pool, Goldring Centre field house, indoor and outdoor track, 3 artificial fields, 3 athletic centre gyms, strength and conditioning centres.
Strength and Conditioning Support
- Program design and implementation including technique education
- Tracking and reporting of progress
- Provision of small and large group training at the Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport for high performance athletes and provincial and national sport organizations
- Access to physicians and therapists
- Full rehabilitative services
- Massage and physiotherapy
Academic Support and Admission Assistance
- Access to the academic support program for varsity and high performance athletes including tutoring, academic success workshops, academic scheduling assistance
- Assistance in academic accommodation requirements for provincial, national and international competition and training camps
- Assistance in the admission process
High Performance Sport Academies
Offered in various sports, the HPSA program consists of an elite level program (some full week daytime, others evening over the course of 3-4 months) offering sport specific training, strength and conditioning, nutrition and mental training education to enhance and facilitate the athletes transition from good to great.
This program is targeted to individuals 14 to 19 years of age and features expert instruction in all aspects of high performance sport training.
Partnering with other high performance organizations, we offer numerous opportunities for coach development in various disciplines.
We annually host:
- National Soccer Coaches Conference – January
- Toronto Strength and Conditioning Conference - April
- Canada Basketball Coaches Clinic - May
Organizations associated with the U of T High Performance Sport Program
Canadian Sport Institute Ontario
Coaches Association of Ontario
Field Hockey Canada and Field Hockey Ontario
Modern Pentathlon Canada
Volleyball Canada and the Ontario Volleyball Association
Toronto Football Club (TFC)
Canadian Soccer Association and the Ontario Soccer Association
Canadian Football League (CFL)
Swim Canada and Swim Ontario