As the main governing body for the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education, Faculty Council creates and amends the by-laws governing the business of Council and its committees; oversees, approves and refers back decisions, motions, proposals, and recommendations from the committees; reports to the Governing Council of the University through the dean; and considers operational plans, budget proposals, and other recommendations from the Council of Athletics and Recreation. Faculty Council exercises its duties and powers under the provisions of the University of Toronto Act.
Faculty Council is composed of the president of the University; the vice-president and provost; the dean of the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education; the vice, associate and assistant deans of the Faculty; the chief administrative officer; all teaching staff and professors emeritae/of the Faculty; the registrar of the Faculty; one professional librarian; representatives of the Council on Athletics and Recreation; representatives of the Kinesiology and Physical Education Undergraduate Association and the Kinesiology and Physical Education Graduate Society; and representative activity instructors, students, administrative and technical support staff, and alumni.
The following standing committees report to Faculty Council:
- Admission (Undergraduate) – responsible for the selection of students to the undergraduate program and makes recommendations on the award of Admission scholarships.
- Appeals (Undergraduate) – final level of appeal within the Faculty for academic appeals by undergraduate students, subject to the right of appeal to the Governing Council.
- Curriculum (Undergraduate) – responsible for the curriculum of the undergraduate programs.
- Examinations (Undergraduate) – responsible for implementing the University’s Grading Practices Policy for the undergraduate programs; reviews policies for the conduct of examinations and considers examination results. No final mark has official status until approved and released by this committee.
- Graduate – responsible for all policies and practices concerning the Graduate Department of Exercise Sciences (EXS).
- Awards (Joint with CAR) – responsible for policy and oversight regarding the administration of the Faculty’s leadership, co-curricular and academic awards.
- Restricted Fund (Joint with CAR) – provides an impartial review of and ongoing advice on the management of the Faculty’s restricted fund accounts with a view to ensuring appropriate expenditure of funds and reports on activity for the benefit of all stakeholders including donors, coaches/faculty, students and governors.
For information about Faculty Council, please contact Wendy Pais.