Last updated: September 22, 2020
U of T Sport & Recreation is actively planning for the fall – and we look forward to welcoming our students and Sport & Rec members through our doors after the Labour Day.
Starting September 8, the Athletic Centre, Goldring Centre, Varsity Centre and Back Campus will re-open for limited services, in compliance with U of T's protocols and the public health guidelines in place due to COVID-19.
Entrances to buildings have been modified to control access according to City of Toronto public health.
External rentals of KPE spaces are not being accepted until at least October 12 or until further notice.
U of T Sport & Rec is pleased to soon be able to welcome our community back into our facilities. All programs will operate in compliance with the University of Toronto's protocols, as well as the public health guidelines in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Although we've made some changes to the way we operate, we remain committed to providing fantastic opportunities to improve your physical, mental and social well-being through sport and physical activity.
Find your fit!
This fall, we're offering a mix of in-person and online programs to help you get active in whatever way works best for you. Additional programming and spaces will be added in a stepped approach to scale up operations safely.
Starting September 8, you can access:
- Group fitness - Explore online workouts or book in-person fitness classes held at the Athletic Centre and Back Campus Fields. Register
- Lane swimming - Book a time to swim in the 50m pool at the Athletic Centre. Register
- Strength and Conditioning - Book a time to work out independently at the Athletic Centre Field House. Register
- Intramurals - Join an intramural sports team and play table tennis, dodgeball, spikeball and more! Open to all U of T students. Learn more
- Online workouts Register
Registration opens 2 days in advance of a class/session. You may register up until the scheduled start time. You may cancel your registration up to 30 minutes before the scheduled start time of your class/booked session.
In September, the David L. MacIntosh Sport Medicine Clinic will re-commence limited services. The Clinic will look to expand service to students, faculty, staff and the community in October. Also in in October, we hope to be able to open Varsity Arena for ice-based activities.
Please note that for the fall term, the Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport and Varsity Centre will operate on limited hours for student athlete training. This will ensure more space and time for the broader U of T community at our largest athletic and recreation facilities.
To ensure the safety of our students, staff and members, we have introduced some new protocols for visits to our facilities:
- An appointment will be required to exercise in our facilities. We will be limiting the number of people permitted in our spaces at a given time. The links for registration are included above.
- All students and members will be screened upon entry (see information below).
- Face masks will be required in all areas except when you are exercising.
- Entrances to buildings have been modified to control access according to public health guidelines.
In line with recommendations from public health authorities, Sport & Rec participants must complete a pre-visit screening form before accessing our facilities. The screening form must be completed on the day of your visit. The pre-screening tool will be available online. Printed copies will also available at check-in if you do not have access to the online form.
- Screening tool for students, staff, faculty and librarians
- Screening tool for members of the community
Please be ready to present your completed form (digital/mobile or print copy) when you check-in. Thank you with your assistance with this process.
Given the continued emergency measures in place across Ontario and the indefinite nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, U of T has cancelled fall term programming for:
- Varsity sport provincial and national competition and sanctioned events
- Sport & Rec clubs
- Most intramural sport programs
- Tri-campus league
- Junior Blues programs, with the exception of competitive gymnastics
At this time, this decision only applies to the fall term. The University will confirm the status of the winter season later in the fall.
Stay active and well with online resources
- Get moving with #UTRAIN: daily live and on-demand workouts that you can do wherever you are. Come sweat with us online!
- Keep the little ones active too! Try Junior Blues: Move & Groove, our weekly online physical activity sessions designed just for kids.
- Find inspiration for daily movement with MoveU Anywhere, a series of practical exercise videos that you can do in your own spaces.
Please be advised that we will not be offering locker service this fall. The use of day lockers will be available on a limited basis for pool participants. If you have not cleared your Sport & Rec locker and will be participating in one of our fall programs, we request that you remove your lock and locker contents during your visit. There will be opportunities for locker clear out for those clients who do not register for programs. This information will follow in the coming weeks. Your locker contents are safe and will remain secure in the meantime.
- Members are invited to contact us to receive a pro-rated refund of membership fees. Please contact us at email@example.com.
- Payments for community members on the monthly payment plan were suspended as of April 1, 2020 and will remain so until further notice.
- Rentals have been cancelled through to September 30, 2020.
- For questions regarding future rentals, please contact Chris Dickins for Goldring Centre and Varsity Centre and Alex Vickers for the Athletic Centre.
- For ongoing updates about the status of operations at U of T, please continue to check the university’s website.