Visit recreation.utoronto.ca to sign up for instructional classes.
U of T students, staff and faculty can login and register with their UTORid. Community members will need an account on recreation.utoronto.ca to login and register for classes.
- Pen and paper for note taking.
- Manuals should be brought to each class.
- Prerequisites must be brought and shown at the first session.
- Bathing suit and whistle, indoor sandals or deck shoes recommended.
- Extra towels/sweatshirts for in water courses.
- Snack or lunch for full day courses.
- Classes are held at the Athletic Centre.
- ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION All certification courses are designed for 100% active participation; including in-water participation in order to learn and demonstrate the skills and competencies required to pass the course. Review the course dates carefully before registering for the course to ensure you can attend each session. In the event of an absence due to medical reasons please contact us for details.
- PREREQUISITES All first aid, lifesaving, lifeguarding and swim instruction programs have prerequisites which must be obtained prior to the start of the course. Please review the prerequisites for each course carefully and be prepared to show proof at the first session.
- PRIVACY NOTICE All certification courses require candidates to be registered with the governing body (Red Cross or Lifesaving Society). Personal information will be shared, including name, address, phone number, birth date and email.
- LIFEGUARD AND SWIM INSTRUCTOR - COURSE PATHWAY Is it your goal to become a certified lifeguard and swim instructor? Wondering what order to take the courses in? Review "How to become a lifeguard" and "How to become a Swim Instructor".
- REFUNDS for certification courses are only accepted up to 4 business days before the course starts and are subject to a 10% administrative fee. Please note a medical note is required for cancellations due to a medical emergency.