NEW: Booking Procedures
Due to facility capacity restrictions in place as part of the university's COVID-19 safety measures all programs offered by Sport & Rec are now pre-registered. Please see below on how to register for a skating session.
When you arrive at Varsity Pavilion please check in at the front desk. Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your skating booking is. When you arrive at the Pavilion please use the stickers on the ground to maintain social distancing and wait until staff let you know you may enter. You must also complete the COVID-19 self assessment on the same day as your visit, but completed prior to coming to the facility. Please see below for more details.
If you have booked a spot and can no longer attend your booking, please cancel it as far in advance as possible at recreation.utoronto.ca. Detailed instructions are available below. Please be considerate of others; cancelling your booking as far in advance as possible allows others to book a skating spot.
New Skate Rental Procedure
Skate rentals will still be available for $3.00 + HST for U of T students. To rent you must add the rental when you are registering for your skating spot on recreation.utoronto.ca. You will not be able to add a rental once you have registered, so please plan in advance. If you end up cancelling your registration please see send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a refund.
Registered Drop-in Skating: Leisure skating for skaters of all abilities.
Registered Drop-in Figure Skating: is for recreational figure skaters who wish to practice individual skating skills, freestyle and stroking elements. This time is not intended for beginner level skaters. Staff are on-site but instruction is not provided.
Please note that due to damage to the ice, skills that require picking the ice will not be allowed. For example, footwork jumps such as stag jumps, toe loops, flip and lutz jumps are not permitted. If ice quality cannot be maintained the drop-in figure skating times may be in jeopardy.
Stick 'n Puck: Beginners can practice using a hockey stick and puck on the ice. Sticks are not provided. Organized games or practices will not be permitted.
Women-only Stick 'n Puck: This program is open to female students and members to improve their stick handling skills. Friendly staff is on-site to answer questions and provide instruction.
To protect the health and safety of the University community, and in line with recommendations from government and public health authorities, Sport & Rec participants must complete a pre-visit screening form before accessing our facilities. The screening form must be completed on the day of your visit. For Sport & Rec in-person programs, students, staff & faculty please complete the COVID-19 Self Assessment via https://www.utoronto.ca/utogether2020/ucheck. All other registrants please use the COVID-19 Self Assessment form. The screening form must be completed on the day of your visit and you will be required to present the email confirmation upon arrival. Thank you for helping us to facilitate a smooth check-in process for everyone.
If you want to book a court online follow these steps:
1. Go to recreation.utoronto.ca.
2. Please sign in using your credentials: students, faculty and staff will use the long blue UTORID button to login; community and alumni members will use their account credentials.
3. From the menu on the left side of the screen - choose sports. This will bring you the list of all sports currently offered. Locate the type of skating you are looking for: Figure Skating, Skating, Stick 'n Puck, Stick 'n Puck Women Only. Choose the Skating offering that applies to you - Student or Non-student.
4. All program instances will show up at the bottom of the screen. Bookings are allowed 2 days in advance. If no programs show up check back the next day.
5. Click the "Register" button on the time that you want to come.
If you wish to cancel your court booking follow these steps:
1. While signed in to recreation.utoronto.ca click your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
2. In the drop down menu that appears choose "Profile".
3. Choose "Registrations" from the left hand menu.
4. Locate the booking you wish to cancel from the list and click on the three dots at the end of the booking. From the drop down list choose "cancel registration".
Participants are asked to wear comfortable athletic attire while joining in drop-in activities.
- Sport & Rec Staff have final say in determining appropriate clothing.
- Warm clothing, including long sleeve shirts, is highly recommended.
- Stick 'n Puck: Participants must wear a CSA approved helmet and bring their own stick.
Skate rentals and helmets are available for loan during drop-in skating, Stick and Puck, and Women-Only Stick 'n Puck.
Skate Rentals: $3.00 + HST for U of T students and $5.00 +HST for non-U of T Students.
New Skate Rental Procedure
To rent you must add the rental when you are registering for your skating spot on recreation.utoronto.ca. You will not be able to add a rental once you have registered, so please plan in advance. If you end up cancelling your registration please see send an email to email@example.com to request a refund.
New Skate Sharpening Procedure
To have your skates sharpened you must add the fee when you are registering for your skating spot on recreation.utoronto.ca. You will not be able to add a sharpening once you have registered, so please plan in advance. If you end up cancelling your registration please see send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a refund.
- Participants must stay clear of the ice until the Zamboni doors are closed.
- Participants must clear the ice at the end of scheduled time or as directed by arena monitor.
- No food, drinks, or gum on the ice.
- No figure skating moves (spins, jumps, etc.) outside of drop-in Figure Skating times.
- No racing, weaving in and out, or tag games.
Stick 'n Puck additional rules:
- Pick-up games are not permitted.
- No slap shots on the boards or the nets and the puck must remain on the ice at all times.
- Hockey stick blade should not leave the ice surface.
- Body checking or engaging in aggressive play is not permitted.
Please review Varsity Centre Arena Rights and Responsibilities before participating in drop-in programs.
Varsity Arena, 299 Bloor Street West*
*Enter through the Varsity Centre Pavilion (off Devonshire Pl.)
- All standard etiquette and rules apply.
- "Family Skate" will appear on the schedule below when available.
- Children aged 17 and under must wear a CSA-approved hockey helmet.
- All children under 12 and all beginner-level skaters must be accompanied on the ice by an adult wearing skates.
- In order for children to be allowed on the ice they must be capable of standing in their skates - adults may assist them with skating.
- One adult may supervise up to three children for Family Skate.
- Review the access policies for Family programs prior to arrival to understand membership and day pass options.