Ages 8 - 17
Aquatics Specialty - Introduction to Competitive Swim
Classes focus on competitive swimming fundamentals. The goal is also to improve fitness and skills while having fun. Participants require a bathing suit, cap and goggles.
Prerequisites: Participants MUST be able to swim at least 50 metres each of front crawl and back crawl and swim 200 metres continuously in deep water.
This introductory Lifesaving Society course in water rescue is excellent preparation for success in Bronze Medallion. Participants develop problem solving and decision-making skills individually and in pairs. A 400 m timed swim is included.
Prerequisites: Participants must be 11 years old. Having completed Swim Kids 8 or able to complete a 300m endurance swim is strongly recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions - Junior Blues Swim Specialty
What general information do I need to know?
- Parents/Guardians must escort their children to and from the pool and to the washrooms during class time.
- Children must shower and should use the washrooms and blow their nose before the start of class.
- Participants should meet their instructor near the teach pool or on deck in the Benson (25 yard) pool.
- Health regulations prohibit street shoes, food and drink on the pool deck..
- In the designated parent conference week, classes will end 5 minutes early to give parents the opportunity to speak with the instructors about their child’s progress.
- No glass is permitted on the pool deck, in change rooms or in the pool gallery.
- Watch for posted signs about photo week and other important dates!
How do I enter the facility?
Swimming classes are held in the Varsity (50m) pool, the teach pool, and the Benson (25yd) pool. At the Athletic Centre, in order to enter through the main doors you must have a GREEN facility access pass. Please ensure that you leave enough time prior to the start of class to pick up your card on the first day if you would like to enter through the main turnstiles.
All Aquatics programs and participants at Athletic Centre: Remember that if you leave the premises for any reason and wish to re-enter thorough the main turnstiles you will need to show your green access pass every time. Again, please ensure that you leave sufficient time to anticipate lineups at the Main Office if you require a new card to replace a lost or forgotten card.
What should my child wear and bring
- Bathing suit and towel.
- Long hair should be tied back.
- Goggles are recommended but not required.
- No outdoor shoes are permitted on deck.
- Indoor-only sandals are permitted.
Can classes be observed?
We find that children excel more in the class and have a better focus when parents are not directly by the pool/lesson.
Classes taking place in the 25yd Benson Pool (25yd): Please be advised that we will be allowing parents & guardians to view their child’s lesson from a designated on-deck seating area in the Benson (25 yd) pool. . All parents/guardians in the on-deck viewing area must adhere to the Ministry of Health Regulations for Swimming Pools. Thank-you for your understanding!
Classes taking place in the Teach Pool (TP) or 50m Varsity Pool (VP): Please drop off your child to the instructor on the pool deck and then you may either sit on the pool deck in the designated viewing area, or you may use the teach pool viewing gallery or the main viewing gallery located on the main floor, which can be accessed near the AC Cafe. The Coordinator on duty can give you directions if you need assistance.
Locations and Change Rooms
The swimming pool location for your child's lesson (50m, 25yd or Teach Pool) is indicated on your receipt.
What change rooms can I use before coming to the pool?
Children six and over must use gender specific change rooms or privacy change rooms. All children under 12 must be supervised by adults in change rooms.
The family change room is located across from the 50m Varsity Pool lifeguard office. We also have a gender-neutral privacy change stall located outside the main entrance to the 25 yd Benson pool.