Ages 3 - 16
Private swimming lessons are offered in 30-minute sessions and are tailored to your child’s specific needs. Times & locations may be selected from the pre-set classes. Unfortunately requests for particular instructors cannot be accommodated.
We are no longer accommodating requests for semi-private swim lessons.
Working on a specific level during one of our private swim lessons?
As the program develops from the skills learned in the previous level, it is critical to be able to complete all skills and learning in a level in order to complete the level and move on. Performance criteria required for each skill need to be met on 3 separate occasions.
Swimmers who haven’t completed skills have the opportunity to continue to work on achieving the necessary progression step by registering in the level an additional time until their skills are strong enough to enter the next level. Your child will achieve physical developmental milestones at their own rate. It is important to look at the successes achieved during each lesson set, knowing that taking a level again offers the opportunity to improve on the skills that are the building blocks for success at the next level.
. These aquatic classes are designed to be programmed for 8-10 weeks. Typically, participants require spring and summer sessions to complete a level. Please be advised that participants will be withdrawn from a class if they have not completed the prerequisite level.
Frequently Asked Questions - Junior Blues Swim Private Lessons
What general information do I need to know?
- Parents/Guardians must escort their children to and from the pool and to the washrooms during class time.
- Children must shower and should use the washrooms and blow their nose before the start of class.
- Participants should meet their instructor near the teach pool or on deck in the Benson (25 yard) pool.
- Health regulations prohibit street shoes, food, drink, and glass containers on the pool deck.
- Red Cross progress cards, badges/stickers are included. For continuous evaluation please bring progress cards prepared by the previous instructor parent conference week.
- In the designated parent conference week, classes will end 5 minutes early to give parents the opportunity to speak with the instructors about their child’s progress. Please give your instructor your past Red Cross Progress Booklet during this time.
- Watch for posted signs about photo week and other important dates!
How do I enter the facility?
Swimming classes are held in the Varsity (50m) pool, the teach pool, and the Benson (25yd) pool. At the Athletic Centre, in order to enter through the main doors you must have a GREEN facility access pass. Please ensure that you leave enough time prior to the start of class to pick up your pass on the first day if you would like to enter through the main turnstiles.
All Aquatics programs and participants at Athletic Centre: Remember that if you leave the premises for any reason and wish to re-enter thorough the main turnstiles you will need to show your green access pass every time. Again, please ensure that you leave sufficient time to anticipate lineups at the Main Office if you require a replacement pass.
What should my child wear and bring
- Bathing suit and towel.
- Long hair should be tied back.
- Goggles are permitted but not required.
- Children who are not toilet trained need to be wearing a swim diaper to prevent any solid matter from entering the pool. Please inform the instructor immediately if your child does have an accident in the pool.
- Children who are cold in the water may wear a thermal bathing suit or tightly-fitted undershirt to help stay warm.
- No outdoor shoes or strollers are permitted on deck.
- Indoor-only sandals are permitted.
Can classes be observed?
We find that children excel more in the class and have a better focus when parents are not directly by the pool/lesson.
Classes taking place in the 25yd Benson Pool (25yd): Please be advised that we will be allowing parents & guardians to view their child’s lesson from a designated on-deck seating area in the Benson (25 yd) pool. . All parents/guardians in the on-deck viewing area must adhere to the Ministry of Health Regulations for Swimming Pools. Thank-you for your understanding!
Classes taking place in the Teach Pool (TP) or 50m Varsity Pool (VP): Please drop off your child to the instructor on the pool deck and then you may either sit on the pool deck in the designated viewing area, or you may use the teach pool viewing gallery or the main viewing gallery located on the main floor, which can be accessed near the AC Cafe. The Coordinator on duty can give you directions if you need assistance.
If you stay close to your child, it is difficult for the children to pay attention to the instructor. Children in preschool classes must be able to participate without a parent. If your child needs to use the washroom during the lesson, the instructor will signal the Coordinator to get your attention so you can meet your child by the pool to access the washroom.
Locations and Change Rooms
The swimming pool location for your child's lesson (50m, 25yd or Teach Pool) is indicated on your receipt.
What change rooms can I use before coming to the pool?
Children five and under may use either change room (men's or women's) under adult supervision. Children six and over must use gender specific change rooms or privacy change rooms. All children under 12 must be supervised by adults in change rooms.
The family change room is located across from the 50m Varsity Pool lifeguard office. We also have a gender-neutral privacy change stall located outside the main entrance to the 25yd Benson pool.