Private swimming lessons are for children 5 - 17 years old. Lessons are offered in 30-minute sessions and are tailored to your child’s specific needs. Times & locations may be selected from the pre-set classes. Unfortunately requests for particular instructors cannot be accommodated.
Frequently Asked Questions - Junior Blues Swim Private Lessons
What general information do I need to know?
- Parents/Guardians must escort their children to and from the pool and to the washrooms during class time.
- Children must shower and should use the washrooms and blow their nose before the start of class.
- Participants should meet their instructor near the teach pool or on deck in the Benson (25 yard) pool.
- Health regulations prohibit street shoes, food, drink, and glass containers on the pool deck.
- Red Cross progress cards, badges/stickers are included. For continuous evaluation please bring progress cards prepared by the previous instructor parent conference week.
- In the designated parent conference week, classes will end 5 minutes early to give parents the opportunity to speak with the instructors about their child’s progress. Please give your instructor your past Red Cross Progress Booklet during this time.
How do I enter the facility?
Swimming classes are held in the Varsity (50m) pool, the teach pool, and the Benson (25yd) pool. At the Athletic Centre, in order to enter through the main doors you must have a GREEN facility access pass. Please ensure that you leave enough time prior to the start of class to pick up your pass on the first day if you would like to enter through the main turnstiles.
All Aquatics programs and participants at Athletic Centre: Remember that if you leave the premises for any reason and wish to re-enter thorough the main turnstiles you will need to show your green access pass every time. Again, please ensure that you leave sufficient time to anticipate lineups at the Main Office if you require a replacement pass.
What should my child wear and bring
- Bathing suit and towel.
- Long hair should be tied back.
- Goggles are permitted but not required.
- Children who are not toilet trained need to be wearing a swim diaper to prevent any solid matter from entering the pool. Please inform the instructor immediately if your child does have an accident in the pool.
- Children who are cold in the water may wear a thermal bathing suit or tightly-fitted undershirt to help stay warm
Can classes be observed?
We find that children excel more in the class and have a better focus when parents are not directly by the pool/lesson.
Parents & guardians may view their child’s lesson from a designated on-deck seating area. All parents/guardians in the on-deck viewing area must adhere to the Ministry of Health Regulations for Swimming Pools. Thank-you for your understanding
Locations and Change Rooms
The swimming pool location for your child's lesson (50m, 25yd or Teach Pool) is indicated on your receipt.
What change rooms can I use before coming to the pool?
Children five and under may use either change room with adult supervision. Children six and over must use gender specific or privacy change rooms. All children under 12 must be supervised by adults in change rooms.
The family change room is located across from the 50m Varsity Pool office. We also have a gender-neutral change stall located outside the 25 yd/Benson pool.