Swimming is an essential life skill for safety, fun and fitness! Children with exceptionalities are encouraged to register in the Red Cross Swim Adapted program. Children will learn and follow the Red Cross Preschool and Swim Kids levels with small group classes (maximum 3:1) and with additional volunteer support in water.
This program is for children with physical, mental and/or emotional exceptionalities. Please register in the program and complete the Intake + Support form found here.
Questions? Email email@example.com or contact the Coordinator of Aquatics Administration at 416-978-5845.
These aquatic classes are designed to be programmed for 8-10 weeks. Typically, participants require multiple sessions to complete a level. Please be advised that participants may be withdrawn from a class if they have not completed the prerequisite level.
Frequently Asked Questions - Junior Blues Swim Adapted
What general information do I need to know?
- Parents/Guardians must escort their children to and from the pool and to the washrooms during class time.
- Children must shower and should use the washrooms and blow their nose before the start of class.
- Participants should meet their instructor on deck in the Benson (25 yard) pool.
- Health regulations prohibit street shoes, food, drink, and glass containers on the pool deck.Red Cross progress cards, badges/stickers are included. For continuous evaluation please bring progress cards prepared by the previous instructor parent conference week.
- In the designated parent conference week, classes will end 5 minutes early to give parents the opportunity to speak with the instructors about their child’s progress. Please give your instructor your past Red Cross Progress Booklet during this time.
How do I enter the facility?
Adapted swimming classes are held in the Benson (25yd) pool. At the Athletic Centre, in order to enter through the main doors you must have a GREEN facility access pass. Please ensure that you leave enough time prior to the start of class to pick up your pass on the first day if you would like to enter through the main turnstiles.
All Aquatics programs and participants at Athletic Centre: Remember that if you leave the premises for any reason and wish to re-enter thorough the main turnstiles you will need to show your green access pass every time. Again, please ensure that you leave sufficient time to anticipate lineups at the Main Office if you require a replacement card.
What should my child wear and bring
- Bathing suit and towel.
- Long hair should be tied back.
- Goggles are permitted but not required.
- Children who are not toilet trained need to be wearing a swim diaper to prevent any solid matter from entering the pool.
- Children who are cold in the water may wear a thermal bathing suit or tightly-fitted undershirt to help stay warm.
- No outdoor shoes or strollers are permitted on deck.
Can classes be observed?
Parents & guardians can view their child’s lesson from a designated on-deck seating area in the pool are. All parents/guardians in the on-deck viewing area must adhere to the Ministry of Health Regulations for Swimming Pools. Thank-you for your understanding.
Children in preschool classes must be able to participate without a parent.
If your child needs to use the washroom during the lesson, the instructor will ask you to meet your child by the pool to access the washroom.
What is the ratio of swimmers to instructors?
Locations and Change Rooms: 25 yd/Benson pool
What change rooms can I use before coming to the pool?
Children five and under may use either change room under adult supervision. Children six and over must use gender specific change rooms or privacy change rooms. All children under 12 must be supervised by adults in change rooms.
The family change room is located adjacent to the 50m Varsity Pool office. A gender-neutral change stall is located outside the main entrance to the 25 yd Benson pool.