On October 9, the province announced the closure of all indoor gyms and fitness centres, effective midnight October 10, 2020, for a minimum of 28 days in the City of Toronto, Region of Peel and City of Ottawa.
In consideration of these new provincial measures and in an effort to support public health efforts, the University has made the decision to suspend all indoor sport and physical activity programs for the 28-day period.
The Athletic Centre, Varsity Centre and Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport will remain open for academics, research and administrative operations. The David L. MacIntosh Sport Medicine Clinic, at the Goldring Centre, will also remain open for scheduled clinical appointments. However, the athletic, physical activity and recreation spaces within these buildings are temporarily closed.
Entrances to buildings have been modified to control access according to City of Toronto public health guidelines. All entrances will be staffed during hours of operation, with the exception of the Harbord Street entrances to the Warren Stevens building (the Athletic Centre).
- Clara Benson building: Access through the Clara Benson building doors (KPE academic program entrance) is only available to KPE students, staff and faculty. It is the expected point of entry for KPE students. A valid T-Card is required to gain access. Shared spaces such as the Benson lounge, computer labs and lunch rooms are closed.
- Warren Stevens building (Athletic Centre): Once indoor programs resume, access for Sport and Rec participants will be through the Classic Avenue entrance. Registered program participants are asked to arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to the start of their program. No change room access will be permitted (except for lane swim participants).
- Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport: Access to the building is currently limited to staff, faculty and KPE graduate students with an office or lab in the facility.
- David L. MacIntosh Sport Medicine Clinic: The sport medicine clinic is resuming limited service on an appointment-only basis. Access to the sport medicine clinic is reserved for scheduled patients, staff and faculty working in the clinic.
- The Varsity Centre pavilion is currently available only to coaches, staff and faculty with offices in in this building. The dome and the arena are closed while indoor programming is suspended.
All KPE properties have new signs in place to address universal COVID-19 related information, as well as information about room occupancy, queuing and traffic flow. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with these signs when you come to our facilities – and please adhere to the guidelines outlined.
External rentals of KPE spaces are not being accepted until at least November 9 or until further notice.
We look forward to a careful and gradual re-opening of our facilities. In doing so, we will continue to follow the guidelines for public health and safety set out by the City of Toronto and the province of Ontario, as well as the University of Toronto’s guidelines and protocols.