With caregiver, ages 1 to 4 years
The primary goals of this class are basic water orientation and having fun. Each child must be accompanied by a caregiver (1:1). Children who are not toilet-trained must wear swim diapers. This class is taught in the teach pool. Red Cross Starfish and Duck levels are taught. For this class, the ratio is one child to one guardian.
These aquatic classes are designed to be programmed for 8-10 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions - Junior Blues Swim Preschool with caregiver.
What general information do I need to know?
- Children must shower and should use the washrooms and blow their nose before the start of class.
- Participants should meet their instructor near the teach pool.
- Health regulations prohibit street shoes, food, glass containers and drink on the pool deck.
- Red Cross progress cards, badges/stickers are included.
- In the designated parent conference week, classes will end 5 minutes early to give parents the opportunity to speak with the instructors about their child’s progress. Please give your instructor your past Red Cross Progress Booklet during this time.
- Watch for posted signs about photo week and other important dates!
How do I enter the facility?
Swimming classes are held in the Varsity (50m) pool, the teach pool, and the Benson (25yd) pool. At the Athletic Centre, in order to enter through the main doors you must have a GREEN facility access pass. Please ensure that you leave enough time prior to the start of class to pick up your pass on the first day if you would like to enter through the main turnstiles.
All Aquatics programs and participants at Athletic Centre: Remember that if you leave the premises for any reason and wish to re-enter thorough the main turnstiles you will need to show your green access pass every time. Again, please ensure that you leave sufficient time to anticipate lineups at the Main Office if you require a replacement pass.
What should my child and I wear and bring
- Bathing suit and towel.
- Long hair should be tied back.
- Goggles are permitted but not required.
- Children who are not toilet trained need to be wearing a swim diaper to prevent any solid matter from entering the pool. Please inform the instructor immediately if your child does have an accident in the pool.
- Children who are cold in the water may wear a thermal bathing suit or tightly-fitted undershirt to help stay warm.
- No outdoor shoes or strollers are permitted on deck.
- Indoor-only sandals are permitted.
What is the ratio of swimmers to instructors?
Swim Preschool with caregiver: 9 - 12 children & caregivers : 1 Instructor
Locations and Change Rooms
The swimming pool location for your child's lesson (50m, 25yd or Teach Pool) is indicated on your receipt.
What change rooms can I use before coming to the pool?
Children five and under may use either change room (men's or women's) under adult supervision. Children six and over must use gender specific change rooms or privacy change rooms. All children under 12 must be supervised by adults in change rooms.
The family change room is located across from the 50m Varsity Pool lifeguard office. We also have a gender-neutral privacy change stall located outside the main entrance to the 25 yd Benson pool.