2022-23 BKIN IN-FIELD LEARNING UPDATE
Applications will open on Wednesday, June 1 at 12 p.m. ET. Once the application opens, you will be able to view the complete list of placement opportunities offered for the upcoming academic year. You will not be able to see the list of placements until this time.
Deadline to submit your application is Monday, June 20 at 5 p.m.
1. Log in to the application system using your UTORid
Applications will open on Wednesday, June 1 at 12 p.m. ET. At this time, you will be able to view all in-field learning opportunities. We are unable to disclose the list of placement options until the application opens.
2. Carefully review the in-field learning placements offered
The Faculty maintains over one hundred community partners, each with distinct opportunities to support your personal and professional development. Think about why you are applying for an in-field learning placement. Are you interested in exploring a new field? Are there skills you would like to develop? Then think about how the various learning objectives within each opportunity can support your goals. Also, be sure to make note of important details listed such as location and hours.
If you will require accommodations during placement, please ensure you are registered with Accessibility Services. Once you have a letter outlining your accommodations, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for further support.
3. Make use of resources to strengthen your application
You will be required to submit a resume as part of your application. Investing time to strengthen it is important, as it is the first impression a potential mentor will have of you. Here are some resources to support you through this process:
- Book an appointment with the Career Educator by logging into CLNx
- Attend resume workshops, drop-ins and other career support offered through the Career Centre and/or KPE Student Services
- Access Lynda on-line tutorials with your UTORid
- Use online tools such as Zety to help format your resume
4. Submit your rankings, resume, and application
All components of your application for in-field learning placements are due by Monday, June 20 at 5 p.m.. In order for your application to be processed, all components must be submitted. You are able to update your rankings and application as often as you would like prior to this date.
5. Reach out to all mentors you have been matched with to set up an interview
Match results will be announced to you and potential mentors by June 23. It is your responsibility to reach out to every mentor you are matched with to set up an interview. Submitting an application signifies a meaningful commitment to the community partners that you have ranked, which requires your follow-through.
6. Complete interview(s) and indicate your post-interview interest on the placement system
Interviews with the mentors you have been matched with will take place between June 23 and July 13. Students and mentors are both required to indicate yes or no on the application system after the completion of each interview.
7. If unmatched after completing round one, proceed to round two of matching
It is possible that you may not be matched following the first application round. If this happens, you are able to rank your top 5 choices out of the spaces that are still available. Round two of matching is only open to those who were unmatched in round one.
8. Sign the student/mentor agreement form
Once matched, you and your mentor are both required to review the student-mentor agreement form on the application system, and check the box indicating agreement.
9. Enrolment in KPE355Y or KPE455Y*
After you have been matched and completed the above steps, you will be automatically enrolled in KPE355Y1 or KPE455Y1 on ROSI by the Registrar's Office.
*Enrolment in KPE455Y1 is only available to students who have successfully completed KPE355Y1